Hello, Fellow Furries (If This Group is Still Active)!
Starscape Majesty
2013-07-07 06:30:29 UTC
Hello, everyone,

I am new to this newsgroup, and, if it is alright with you, I would like
to introduce myself. If this group is still active, perhaps we could
chat a little.

There's not much to say. I have been a furry for nearly 5 years, so I
am not exactly new. I know that I have not been a furry for nearly as
long as others, though. I have two fursonas: Foxybrowser, the Corsac
Fox, and Starscape Majesty, the MLP Pegasus Pony.

In terms of my furry interests, I am a huge fan of animated Disney films
and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I would love to go to a
convention, one day, too, and maybe even fursuit! For now, though, I am
just a fan through the internet.

So, how is everyone?
Dennis Lee Bieber
2013-07-07 14:18:52 UTC
On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 02:30:29 -0400, Starscape Majesty
Post by Starscape Majesty
Hello, everyone,
I am new to this newsgroup, and, if it is alright with you, I would like
to introduce myself. If this group is still active, perhaps we could
chat a little.
There's not much to say. I have been a furry for nearly 5 years, so I
am not exactly new. I know that I have not been a furry for nearly as
long as others, though. I have two fursonas: Foxybrowser, the Corsac
Fox, and Starscape Majesty, the MLP Pegasus Pony.
In terms of my furry interests, I am a huge fan of animated Disney films
and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I would love to go to a
convention, one day, too, and maybe even fursuit! For now, though, I am
just a fan through the internet.
So, how is everyone?
There are maybe five of us still monitoring the group, but we don't
post much.

It doesn't help that Critter, which used to be a cleaner "furnet"
server no longer peers with the wide Usenet world, so the group became
split between spam-laden Usenet and clean Critter -- and some people could
only access one or the other.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
Starscape Majesty
2013-07-11 00:17:26 UTC
Post by Starscape Majesty
[...]
Ah. It is a shame that there are only a few people left. Oh, well. I
find the discussions in a group more important than its size. As long
as a few people are left, a group is not really dead. I just ignore the
spammers. :)
Aeon Firebrand
Just joined here as well, will be looking through all the stuff that's on here relevant to furries... who knows, might learn something from this historical place :P
Starscape Majesty
2013-07-11 18:34:12 UTC
Post by Aeon Firebrand
Post by Starscape Majesty
[...]
Hi, Firebrand. It's great to know that I am not the only new furry,
here. I thought that I might be alone! Perhaps I should take a page
out of your book and also read all of the posts. I've read several of
them, already, and they seem very interesting! :3

What are your furry interests? I know that I would definitely love to
fursuit. I'm also about to buy my first furry comic, "Associated
Student Bodies." There is just so much in this fandom that I find
interesting! I cannot imagine why it is so small. :)
Aeon Firebrand
2013-07-12 13:18:45 UTC
Post by Starscape Majesty
Hello, everyone,
I am new to this newsgroup, and, if it is alright with you, I would like
to introduce myself. If this group is still active, perhaps we could
chat a little.
There's not much to say. I have been a furry for nearly 5 years, so I
am not exactly new. I know that I have not been a furry for nearly as
long as others, though. I have two fursonas: Foxybrowser, the Corsac
Fox, and Starscape Majesty, the MLP Pegasus Pony.
In terms of my furry interests, I am a huge fan of animated Disney films
and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I would love to go to a
convention, one day, too, and maybe even fursuit! For now, though, I am
just a fan through the internet.
So, how is everyone?
Usenet is very very old (by my standards anyway), as I understand from the
wiki, this place was once great. It sounds like I'm telling a story lol.
Anyway, I mostly interact with furry friends on skype now, I used to go on
to a few forums and use omegle to find new furs, but that time has passed. I
was trying to find posts dating back to 1960, but I forgot that things are
dated on Usenet and expire depending on the provider. Google goes back to
the year 2000.

You said you've been a furry for 5 years, how much have you explored so far?

I'm all for partial fursuits and the light ones, I can't imagine being in
one of those big bulky ones, they seem... well, bulky xD.

Bought furry books off amazon a few months ago, still going through them
now. I read comics as well, though just webcomics.
Starscape Majesty
2013-07-12 14:49:52 UTC
Post by Aeon Firebrand
Post by Starscape Majesty
[...]
To my knowledge, newsgroups have only been around since the late 1970's,
and Google Groups has an archive of the vast majority of these posts. I
was able to find posts since about 1980.

I have mostly been an internet Furry, over the years, though I would
like to become a more active Furry, in real life. I've also read
several furry webcomics ("Housepets!" is my favorite), but never a print
furry comic. I am also an avid browser of FurAffinity.
Dennis Lee Bieber
2013-07-12 21:51:53 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 06:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Aeon Firebrand
Post by Aeon Firebrand
Usenet is very very old (by my standards anyway), as I understand from the
wiki, this place was once great. It sounds like I'm telling a story lol.
Anyway, I mostly interact with furry friends on skype now, I used to go on
to a few forums and use omegle to find new furs, but that time has passed. I
was trying to find posts dating back to 1960, but I forgot that things are
dated on Usenet and expire depending on the provider. Google goes back to
the year 2000.
1960? ARPAnet was maybe five nodes in the early 70s. Usenet/NNTP might
have been 1980 -- again mainly research universities and military. The
mid-80s, early-90s would have been the era of CompuServe, Delphi, and GEnie
(for the last, the furry community started as one forum in the Comics
Roundtable, which itself started [I think] as an off-shoot of SF/F [I
joined when a brochure in my first modem -- 2400bps -- mentioned Mercedes
Lackey as a regular in SF/F]).
Post by Aeon Firebrand
I'm all for partial fursuits and the light ones, I can't imagine being in
one of those big bulky ones, they seem... well, bulky xD.
If you've got enough money, you can distribute a few LiIon batteries,
cooling panels, and small fans, into a suit.

I'm not one of those -- haven't put a suit together due to lack of
sewing skills.
Dan Skunk
2013-07-13 15:00:11 UTC
Hi. :3 Welcome. :3

I've been a furry for almost 10 years. :3 My first post on a furry forum is
on this group about that time, I think. :3

Furry interests... Umm.. I dunno... Just always felt connected to skunks and
was happy to find others that felt the same way (even if not necessarily
about skunks specifically but to other animals.)

So, how is everyone?
Starscape Majesty
2013-07-13 19:34:22 UTC
Post by Dan Skunk
[...]
I know what you mean. I am fairly shy, in person, but I always found it
very easy to relate to fantasy characters, especially furries. I
thought that I was alone in that feeling, for the longest time. I
nearly died of happiness, when I found out that there were others like
me. :)

In terms of animals to which I connect, foxes have always been my
favorite animal.
Starscape Majesty
2013-07-13 19:45:29 UTC
Post by Starscape Majesty
Hello, everyone,
I am new to this newsgroup, and, if it is alright with you, I would like
to introduce myself. If this group is still active, perhaps we could
chat a little.
There's not much to say. I have been a furry for nearly 5 years, so I
am not exactly new. I know that I have not been a furry for nearly as
long as others, though. I have two fursonas: Foxybrowser, the Corsac
Fox, and Starscape Majesty, the MLP Pegasus Pony.
In terms of my furry interests, I am a huge fan of animated Disney films
and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I would love to go to a
convention, one day, too, and maybe even fursuit! For now, though, I am
just a fan through the internet.
So, how is everyone?
I can't seem to find anything before 2000 though, so what filters are you guys using?
For the most part, I just post from a newsreader. When I do search
Google Groups, though, I just using normal filters. Perhaps your
problem has to do with the fact that this particular group was only
founded in 1996. There are other groups with much older posts.
Aeon Firebrand
2013-07-14 08:24:32 UTC
Post by Starscape Majesty
Hello, everyone,
I am new to this newsgroup, and, if it is alright with you, I would like
to introduce myself. If this group is still active, perhaps we could
chat a little.
There's not much to say. I have been a furry for nearly 5 years, so I
am not exactly new. I know that I have not been a furry for nearly as
long as others, though. I have two fursonas: Foxybrowser, the Corsac
Fox, and Starscape Majesty, the MLP Pegasus Pony.
In terms of my furry interests, I am a huge fan of animated Disney films
and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I would love to go to a
convention, one day, too, and maybe even fursuit! For now, though, I am
just a fan through the internet.
So, how is everyone?
I myself joined when I saw another furry on cracked.com, funnily enough.

It just went on from there, and I've had a really enjoyable time just exploring, then meeting people all over the place.

I'm a wolf person, since I find them quite interesting and also I like the traits they represent. By my fursona being a wolf... I wished to gain those traits. Sounds a bit strange perhaps.
Dan Skunk

favorite animal.
Starscape Majesty
2013-07-15 23:23:05 UTC
Post by Dan Skunk
[...]
I agree! It is a lot easier to talk to people with similar interests.
My only regret is that there are relatively few furries. I suppose that
it just makes it easier to relate to people and make friends, though. c:
Dan Skunk
Starscape Majesty
Hehe. I suppose that's true. I have met a couple of furries, in real life.
Leo_nine
2013-07-19 15:08:06 UTC
Post by Starscape Majesty
Post by Starscape Majesty
I agree! It is a lot easier to talk to people with similar interests.
My only regret is that there are relatively few furries. I suppose
that it just makes it easier to relate to people and make friends,
Hehe. I suppose that's true. I have met a couple of furries, in real life.
Usenet is... well, I wouldn't say it's on it's last legs, exactly -
Google's Groups integration seems to be acting as life support, but with
the spam issue, and how most ISPs have knocked their NNTP access on the
head, it's not really attracting that many new users (he says, having
joined in ~2007...).

It's just that most furry stuff happens on forums and image sites (or the
forums of image sites), or IRC, these days.
Leo.
Dan Skunk

Leo.
Leo_nine
2013-07-27 11:19:03 UTC
Post by Starscape Majesty
Post by Starscape Majesty
I agree! It is a lot easier to talk to people with similar interests.
My only regret is that there are relatively few furries. I suppose
that it just makes it easier to relate to people and make friends,
Hehe. I suppose that's true. I have met a couple of furries, in real life.
Usenet is... well, I wouldn't say it's on it's last legs, exactly -
Google's Groups integration seems to be acting as life support, but with
the spam issue, and how most ISPs have knocked their NNTP access on the
head, it's not really attracting that many new users (he says, having
joined in ~2007...).
It's just that most furry stuff happens on forums and image sites (or
the forums of image sites), or IRC, these days.
I pay €10/year for spam-free access (well, mostly - killfile the few that
get missed, and the odd... personality), so it's not too bad.

There are free options - google groups and critter.net have been
mentioned, and are probably the best.
Dan Skunk
2013-08-05 13:30:13 UTC
Well, it's not that much, but still people would have to go through the
hassle to do that.

Even when they did have news servers, nobody knew what they were or how to
use them. They went on the web to find things.